Monday, September 17, 2012

Vocabulary: Fall List #6

beatitude- supreme blessedness; exalted happiness
sentence- Even the richest man couldn't buy his way to beatitude.

bete noire- a person or thing especially disliked or dreaded
sentence- Soccer is the most bete noire sport for me.

bode- to be an omen of'; portend
sentence- This cloudy weather does not bode well for our picnic.

dank- unpleasantly moist or humid; damp; chilly
sentence- In old days people were threatened with getting put into a dank dungeon.

ecumenical- general; universal
sentence- The english language is fairly ecumenical around the world.

fervid- heated or vehement in spirit, enthusiasm
sentence- The fervid auctioneer brought life to the event.

fetid- having an offensive odor; stinking
sentence- The boy's locker room was very fetid.

gargantuan- gigantic, enormous, colossal
sentence- I had a gargantuan load of homework for the night.

heyday- stage or period of greatest vigor, strength, success
sentence- I could tell of my grandparents heyday by looking at old pictures of them.

incubus- something that weighs upon or oppresses one like a nightmare
sentence- The guilt got to her the most in her sleep as of a relentless incubus.

infrastructure- the basic, underlying framework or features of a system or organization
sentence- The internet has become very common in our society's infrastructure.

inveigle- to entice, lure by flattery or artful talk
sentence- I inveigle my boyfriend to get him to take me to see a chick flick.

kudos- honor, glory, acclaim
sentence- He received kudos from everyone on his performance.

lagniappe- a gratuity or tip
sentence- We left a large lagniappe for our waiter.

prolix- extended to great, unnecessary, or tedious length; long and wordy
sentence- Sometimes my rambling causes me to form prolix essays of ten pages.

protege- person under protection or care of someone interested in his/her career
sentence- The coach's protege was able to win an olympic medal which he was not able to do himself.

prototype- the original or model on which something is based on
sentence- Most rocket scientist form a prototype before actually building the rocket.

sycophant- self-seeking, servile flatterer
sentence- My sycophant friend only tells me what I want to hear and never the truth.

tautology- an instance of such repetition
sentence- I try to avoid tautology in my writing.

truckle- to submit or yield obsequiously or tamely
sentence- Don't truckle to unreasonable demands.

No comments:

Post a Comment