Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Vocabulary: Fall List #8

Abeyance- temporary inactivity or suspension
Sentence- Let's hold that issue in abeyance for a week.

Ambivalent- having mixed feelings or contradictory ideas about something or someone
sentence-I am ambivalent about moving too far away from home for college.

Beleaguer- to surround or beset, as with troubles
sentence- I don't mean to beleaguer the point, but you need to clean your room.

Carte blanche- unconditional authority; full discretionary power
sentence- I gave the designer full carte blanche to redo my room.

Cataclysm- any violent upheaval, especially  one of a social or political nature
sentence- If we don't change the homecoming group then there could be some serious cataclysm.

Debauch- to corrupt or pervert; sully
sentence- His honesty was debauched by the prospect of easy money.

Eclat- brilliance of success, reputation
sentence- The eclat of a great achievement.

Fastidious- excessively particular, critical or demanding; hard to please
sentence- You're a fastidious eater.

Gambol- to skip about; frolic
sentence- Sometimes I want to gambol through the fallen leaves.

Imbue- inspire, as with feelings, opinions
sentence- The political leaders were imbued with the teachings of past political leaders.

Inchoate- not yet completed or fully developed
sentence- We had an inchoate load of ideas on the topic.

Lampoon- to mock or ridicule
sentence- My brother lampoons me when I get him mad.

Malleable- adaptable or tractable
sentence- When you're a child you're the most malleable.

Nemesis- something that a person cannot conquer, achieve
sentence- History is my nemesis in school.

Opt- to decide to leave or withdraw
sentence- I decided to opt out of the contest.

Philistine- person who is lacking in or indifferent to cultural values
sentence- The indian philistine chose not to join in the rain dance.

Picaresque- pertaining to a form of prose fiction in which heroes are described in a series of humorous or satiric episodes of everyday life of the common people
sentence- The character was a typical picaresque hero.

Queasy- uneasy or uncomfortable, as feelings, the conscience
sentence- I became queasy to tell my mom that I broke the lamp.

Refractory- hard to manage, stubbornly disobedient
sentence- I struggled to put my refractory cousin to bed.

Savoir-faire- knowledge of just what to do in any situation
sentence- My mom provides a savoir-faire for me when I have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment